Monday, January 30, 2006

letter of the month

Today's DesNews:

Sen. Chris Buttars has publicly stated that he is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and that much of the legislation he sponsors and the positions he takes on certain issues are based on his religious faith. As a faithful member of the church myself, I want to make it known that I do not share his views and that, in my opinion, they are not supported by church doctrine, are not commonly accepted by active Mormons and are completely unjustified by the religion we share.
For example, I am very happy to report that my faith is not threatened by the overwhelming evidence of evolution. Chris Buttars and others like him remind me of the medieval Roman Catholic Church. He appears just as frightened of Darwin's ideas as they were of the ideas of Copernicus, Galileo and other thinkers of the time.
All that Buttars is accomplishing with his moral grandstanding is embarrassing himself and those he represents. He and the rest of the Legislature should leave education to educators and religion to churches.
William C. McGregor
Bountiful

No comments: