Friday, May 05, 2006

Immigration

My friend Paul W. Draper, who found me on MySpace, wrote this insightful piece on immigration.

I didn't march. I didn't skip work. But I did stay home.

------------

There are millions of people living in America who aren't citizens. This is a problem.

We can't just flick a wand and make them all citizens because that would cause more people to try to enter our country in search of more freedoms, better food and a higher quality of life.

Just like our like our ancestors did.

However, we can't just round everyone up and ship them back to where they came.

I really don't want to live in a country where the police can come up to anyone who doesn't look German and say "Papers".

I don't have the answer. But I am proud to live in a country where we have a right to freedom of speech and freedom of public assembly. I am glad there was a march. It makes me feel more American. I am proud to live in this country. I am grateful that my people came here.


-------------------------------------

When they came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I did not speak out;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

No comments: