Friday, October 05, 2007

Snake Oil and Vouchers

A few years ago, my Ward went on a journey to Green River and Goblin Valley State Parks. I left about 12 hours before everyone else and took the scenic route to get there. ALong this journey, I discovered that there are old uranium mines in Capitol Reef National Park. Most of them date back to before we used uranium for weapons.

SO, what was uranium used for?

Well, according to a sign in the park, it was used as a topical ointment for many ailments, from arthritis to gangrene.

As the sign said, the "cure" was worse than the problem.

I thought about that as I read the following regarding vouchers:

In the end, snake oil is snake oil. When you can't explain what's in it, what's good about it, what objective studies and consumer reports have concluded about it, I suppose all you're left with is the argument that trying it can't make things any worse. And that's not an argument at all, it's a fallback position.


-Bob

(picture courtesy www.gapingvoid.com/ used with permission. Go figure.)

2 comments:

rmwarnick said...

The snake oil they are selling will cost us a mere $429 million, according to the Office of the Legislative Fiscal Analyst. It's only money.

Referendum One said...

Bob, I read your blog daily and appreciate what you do here. You do good work. Thanks again for the mention and the link to my corner of the blogosphere.

http://accountabilityfirst.blogspot.com/