There has been speculation the last several weeks that Mitt Romney could possibly be named John McCain's Vice President. Now, there's speculation that an announcement could be made by the end of the week.
Now, let me make this clear: I hope it's NOT MittFlop, even though it would definitely make things a little more interesting around here. However, if I were advising the McCain campaign, I would tell them to put aside their differences and pick Romney.
Why? (Not in any particular order...)
1. He look young, but not too young as to remind people just how old McCain is. He's a youthful 61.
2. John McCain admitted his biggest weakness is the economy. Why not bring in somebody who built his reputation turning companies and organizations around. Even though he's only been in politics 4 years, hebrings more executive experience than anyone else.
3. He's a nomad, which in this case is a good thing. His ties to Michigan help him some (even though not as much as the media would have you believe, IMO). His New England ties help in New Hampshire and Pennsylvania. His Utah ties help him better understand Western Issues more than McCain does, which helps in swing states Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado, and Montana. All four of those states voted for Bush in 2004, and are currently polling for Obama.
4. He has cred with the "values" people, which is an important Republican base McCain is struggling with.
5. His religion. Again, there is the values thing. Plus, Romney's worth at least a 5-point boost in Nevada and adds some to other western swing states. Obama currently leads Nevada by 2 points.
And, the negatives (again, not in any particular order)?
1. His religion. It could be a drag on the South, where Obama is showing some strength. However, since many of the same people who wouldn't vote for a Mormon also wouldn't vote for a black man, it's mostly a low turnout issue.
2. The bad blood between the two campaigns could be a distraction. There's lots of footage just waiting to be shown of the two men saying the other is unfit for the job.
3. Flip Flops are the last thing McCain wants to be talking about.
4. The John Edwards factor. That's when the VP nominee outshines the Presidential nominee on charisma.
5. Fund raising. I know that most media outlets are putting this in the positive category, but hear me out. Right now, Mitt can tour the country raising funds for McCain08, the RNC, the RCCC, the RSCC, 527s etc. If he's on the ticket, he can't go out fund raising as effectively. And, the McCain08 money must be raised and spent by September 4, when public financing kicks in.
Unless McCain/Romney changes it's mind about public financing......