Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Dear John....

The anticipation is killing me. I'm so anxious for tonight. I'm finishing a project that is due this week. It requires just enough attention that I can't go help candidates, but because I have to wait on others, I have time on my hands. So, I'm taking to watching videos and writing long, rambling posts. First, the video, then the post, for those who care:



This got me thinking of Dear John Letters. Well, my "Dear John" letter, from my days a LDS missionary.

I had a dear friend in high school that we will call A. A was a great person who I never really told how much I liked her until after I was on my mission. She agreed to keep in touch with me, but reserved her right not to "wait" for me. (A right that I never considered taking, BTW.)

Well, about 18 months in, my first mission president had a heart attack. In a mission conference in front of 200 missionaries, including myself. He was dead before he got to the hospital. About a week later, after I had come to terms with the situation, I wrote and told her about the events of the weekend. A few weeks after that, I got a letter from A. I remember the first two sentences of that letter:

Dear Elder Bob-

Sorry to hear about your mission president. This may not be the best time to tell you, but I'm getting married.


The reason this is a story worth telling?

I got the letter on my birthday.

My Birthday happens to be Valentine's Day.

-Bob

P.S. I'll warn you when I have these stories to tell that don't really mean much.....

No comments: