The Salt Lake County Democratic Party (“the County Party”) is seeking a contract Executive Director (“ED”) to guide the development and expansion of this growing organization. Qualified candidates should be able to show proven experience in organizational development and building grassroots programs. Prior background in fundraising, political campaign management and community organizing or business management is preferred. The ED reports to the Executive Committee, and is accountable for the organization's consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives, including program development and administration.
The contracted ED will be asked to carry out all duties as outlined below:
1. Facilitate the Executive Committee’s long-term strategy to ensure its mission is accomplished in a consistent and timely manner.
2. Work with the Executive Committee and sub-committees to develop and implement program, organizational, and financial plans, as authorized by the Executive Committee.
3. Promote active and broad participation by volunteers.
4. Maintain official records and documents and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
5. Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends pertinent to the County Party.
6. Administer various duties associated with Executive Committee Meetings and items related with the County Party.
7. Support the Chair and Executive Committee in their roles as the public face of the County Party.
8. Complete other duties as assigned.
In Fundraising, the Executive Director will:
1. Create and implement an annual development plan and strategy, in coordination with the Finance Committee and the Executive Committee
2. Be responsible for raising a minimum operating budget for the County Party, as established by the Executive Committee
3. Lead and manage the County Party’s overall development efforts.
4. Train and lead others to support fundraising and marketing efforts.
5. Cultivate and nurture the County Party’s relationships with current and potential PACs, corporations, labor organizations, other political entities, and individual donors.
6. Manage the County Party’s Monthly Donation program, which includes identifying and securing monthly donors, and engaging them in ongoing giving opportunities.
7. Write grant proposals and reports to corporate, foundation, and government foundations.
8. Develop and grow the organization’s individual donor base, manage annual giving campaign, and cultivate major gifts.
9. Work in partnership with the Utah State Democratic Party and the Democratic National Committee network to develop regional and national sponsors.
10. Research other funding resources for the County Party.
In communications, the Executive Director will:
1. See that the Executive Committee is kept informed and updated on all County Party business.
2. Publicize County Party activities through the appropriate channels and to the proper people.
3. Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations.
4. Represent the programs and positions of the County Party to agencies, organizations, and the general public.
5. Prepare and distribute press releases and other public communication.
In relations with staff, the Executive Director will:
1. Be responsible for the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, both staff and volunteers.
2. Organize an orderly transition plan of the Executive Committee.
3. Maintain a climate that attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse volunteer base.
In budget and finance, the Executive Director will:
1. Be responsible for adhering to and maintaining sound financial practices.
2. Work with the Finance Committee and the Executive Committee in preparing a budget.
3. Work with the Treasurer to see that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
Preferred minimum requirements: two years of political, nonprofit or related experience, college degree, advanced computer skills and access to transportation.
The Salt Lake County Democratic Party is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to apply: A resume, letter of intent demonstrating writing skills, and references should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, September 28, 2009 for first consideration, the position will remain open until filled. Qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview and may be asked to submit further information.
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.