Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Corroon and Herbert on "Social Issues"

The Tribune ran a feature yesterday talking about the similarities and few differences between the two candidates running for Governor. It is well worth the time and effort to read the piece. I agree with BYU political scientist Quinn Monson when he says that while Corroon and Herbert agree on many social issues,

Corroon ... needs to make the governor's race about fiscal responsibility and good government. "If it turns on social issues," he adds, "you activate the vote-Republican gene" in GOP-dominated Utah.


So, how does Peter Corroon feel on some of the Utah's hot-button social issues?

Gay Marriage/Civil Unions:

Corroon » "I believe traditional marriage is between a man and a woman. I also do support making sure all our citizens can work, live and support their loved ones without discrimination in our society.

"Our citizens have spoken on [civil unions] through a constitutional amendment so it wouldn't be something I would pursue."


Abortion:

"Based on my [Catholic] faith and upbringing, I am opposed to abortion except in limited circumstances: rape, incest and the life and health of the mother. ...

"I certainly understand that other people may have a different opinion. I respect that difference. As governor, my goal would be to unite everybody to see how we could reduce the number of abortions. ...


-Bob

No comments: