Monday, April 05, 2010

For Some, Politics > Religiion

Several years ago, I was having a conversation with a couple of friends (S. and D.) in the parking lot of our LDS wardhouse after church one Sunday. D could not understand how S and I could vote for both Republicans and Democrats. S said "My political party is not my religion."

It offended D so much that I laughed at S's comment, I don't think he and I have talked much since.

(Incidentally, both are running for the Legislature this year. D as a Republican and S as a Libertarian.)

I was reminded of that conversation when I read this last week in the Tribune:

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., was invited by a fellow Mormon to give a fireside talk at an LDS stake center in Las Vegas last weekend and readily agreed to speak about his conversion to the faith and his belief in its gospel.
But when word got out that Reid was speaking, the reaction was so nasty the fireside was canceled for fear the meeting would turn violent.

Organizers of the fireside reportedly received e-mails and phone messages threatening that if Reid spoke before the congregation, they would heckle him inside the chapel and harass him with demeaning signs and slogans.

Those familiar with the planned meeting say his talk was not intended to be political, but only about his spiritual awakening and connection to the LDS Church.

Maybe it would be more acceptable to some of the more vitriolic church members there if they got Glenn Beck to speak in his place -- or, perhaps, the other Nevada senator: John Ensign.

No comments: