Sunday, February 12, 2006

Wasting Tax Dollars

Unabashed Utahn has a great post on his current life in the military. It's not the same as the ads make it seem. He brings up what a wonderful use of resources this war is:

Back home people think being in the military involves a huge amount of patriotism. But it hasn't for me, if anything I have slowly been chipping away at my innate nationalism since I joined. My job just seems so meaningless. Here I am wasting tax dollars that could be spent on education or implementing environmently friendly policies. Everyday I think of the waste this giant military is. I hate listening to everyone say "thanks for protecting our freedoms" and "you make us free." What freedom was threatened by Iraq? If we wouldn't have invaded to find WMD would we not be watching crappy reality tv shows, would the internet have shut down, or would the Communists have taken over? NO! We are not the Department of Defense anymore, defending the nation has now fallen to the Dept. of Homeland Security.

No comments: