Sunday, February 12, 2006

Coretta Scott King's Funeral

Much has been made about the comments made at Coretta Scott King's Funeral.

All, I can say is, if I die tomorrow, and the President came to my funeral, I want those speeches re-read.

Personally, I was not offended. Nor, appearantly, were the family, who has not spoken out against it. If they were offended, wouldn't they be all over Rush and Hannity and O'Liely?

It's an interesting reflection back to the Paul Wellstone funeral, which Al Franken talks about in his book Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them. Unlike the conservatives who did, in fact, use the memorial for political gain, Franken was at the funeral. He gives a Readers Digest account in this post about the current weeping and wailing and gnashing of tetth over the King Funeral. He sums up the entire post this way:

Coretta Scott King was a political woman. Most of those complaining on her behalf are against everything she stood for. In her later years she spoke passionately on behalf of affirmative action. Should her family have been offended that President Bush didn't mention this and apologize for it? Should they have been offended that the first President Bush didn't mention that he had campaigned for Congress in 1964 against the 1964 Civil Rights Bill and didn't apologize for that?

I don't think so. I think they were happy the two Bush Presidents showed up and paid their respects. I think they were also happy that Carter mentioned the wiretaps and that Joseph Lowery mentioned that there had been no WMD's in Iraq. Because that's probably what their mother would have wanted.

But I don't know. You'd have to ask them.


-Bob

No comments: