Thursday, August 17, 2006

BREAKING: Ashdown calls out Hatch on Supporting the troops

From a Pete Ashdown press release:

"My opponent continues to trot out the falsehood that Democrats are bad for national security. I find this offensive, false, and deceptive. It shows a fundamental lack of respect for and confidence in the abilities of America's troops, our intelligence services, our law enforcement agencies, and general disrespect for the American people. According to my opponent's flawed logic, America's bravest servants would be so distraught by a Democratic victory, that they would just forget that we are at war and they would quit in droves. I hold a greater confidence in our troops and civil servants.

"Furthermore, Democrats have shown that they have been more competent in national security matters. When I think of strong Democrats, I think of Harry Truman, who won World War II. He had another comparison I agree with, one as true today as it was in 1948 when he said it in Springville: 'It has been the policy of the Democratic Party to be for the people. It has been the policy of the Republican Party to be for the special interests.' Senator Hatch wants to scare people into voting Republican so he can help out his Hollywood buddies and out-of-state contributors. I want people to vote for me so all Americans can: be safe from terror, have clean, cheap energy; affordable health care; and be secure from unwarranted government intrusion.

"I also want to comment on the US District Court striking down the NSA warrantless eavesdropping program. I believe that the Court made the right decision, recognizing that the administration overstepped its Constitutional authority. I have previously expressed concerns about the President taking unilateral steps to eavesdrop, without asking for a warrant, and without asking Congress to revise the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. Certainly national security is a concern that should not be diminished. However, our Constitution does not deny warranted investigation. What it sets down are the rules for how that is to take place. When wiretaps, emails, or other communications are spied upon without proper court order, then we as Americans are losing a significant portion of our freedom. The Constitution puts restraint on government for good reason; government rarely restrains itself."

No comments: