Friday, February 09, 2007

Terry Wood: My New Hero


he·ro [heer-oh] –noun
1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.
2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal

As seen on ABC4's 10PM News Wednesday Night (a must-see).

When Darwin Morgan, the Department of Energy spokesman accuses ABC 4 of “advocacy journalism”, he is right.

Objectivity is the goal of a good, professional journalist, and for months, ABC 4 has reported objectively on Divine Strake.

But after looking at the facts, ABC 4 has taken a determined stand in opposition.

This is my 40th year as a broadcast journalist. 30 of those years I’ve spent here in Utah, and I have never taken a position of advocacy before.

But more than a professional journalist, I am a citizen of Utah. My children live in Utah. My grandchildren live in Utah, as do those of the ABC 4 staff.

By the government’s own admission, the mushroom cloud from Divine Strake will pass over Utah.

The Dept. of Energy says it will not harm us, but we have heard that before in Utah. Their promises that the fallout from the atom bomb tests would not hurt us were either out-and-out lies or naively stupid.

I, too, am willing to put my professional reputation and career of 40 years on the line in taking a stand against Divine Strake. It is that important to the health and well-being of our families.

I am not willing to obediently accept the Dept. of Energy's assurance that it will not cause us harm in the years to come. They may be right, but I do not want to take the chance.

Obviously, more than 7-thousand of you feel that way, too.

No comments: