Monday, November 10, 2008

The end of an era? 1980 and 2008

There has been much speculation over the past 10 days or so that President-Elect Obama's victory signals the end of the Reagan era of American politics.

I really think kind of statement has to be looked at from the future. Say, in eight years. Then, and only then, can we talk about history.

After all, you could have said the same thing in November 1992, only to be proven wrong in 1994.

However, that thought, that this is a long-term change in America got me to thinking.

The picture that accompanies this post is a picture of my nephew. He is almost the exact age now that I was on January 20, 1981. The day Ronald Reagan took office.

And the thought struck me that the memories I have of President Reagan, the effect that Nancy Reagan had on me, is the same way my nephew is going to look upon President Obama.

And that is enough to put a smile on my face.

-Bob

No comments: