Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Senator Scott McCoy: Of Book Burnings and Boycotts

From Utah Senate Democrats:

n the wake of the passage of Prop 8 in California, emotions and tempers have flared in the LGBT community. I understand the anger, disappointment, and sadness that many in the gay and transgendered community are feeling as a result of having the right to marry stripped away. I have felt those same emotions and had those same reactions myself. I understand the desire and the need to express those feelings. In fact, you have a First Amendment right to do so.

Having said that, I implore my fellow citizens to engage in civil and peaceful expressions and conduct. There is no room for violence, vandalism, or intimidation in this continuing debate for marriage equality. Resort to such methods is simply unacceptable. We are better than that.

Furthermore, I urge people not to boycott Utah. There are many good and sympathetic people, Mormons and non-Mormons alike, who call Utah home. Boycotting Utah ultimately hurts those of us who are working for a more fair and just Utah. Rather than staying away from Utah, come and visit and show our detractors that we are fine and decent people deserving of equal treatment and protection under the law.


Well done, Senator!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Yes, come to my state, which spent millions of dollars to oppress you, and come spend your money because almost ALL of our revenue comes from tourism and we my have totally screwed ourselves." Yes, that will show all the people who hate gay people what they did was wrong. Or it will show them that what they did was right and has no repercussions. yeah, Im all for boycotting thanks