Friday, January 15, 2010

More on Killpack DUI

For more on the story, see my previous post.

Tribune

In a statement, Killpack apologized for those who he has disappointed.

"I am deeply sorry for the impact this incident will have on those who support and trust me -- my colleagues in the Senate, my constituents and, most importantly, my family," Killpack said. "I am a firm believer in responsibility and personal accountability, and am prepared to accept all personal, legal and political consequences for my actions."

Killpack's father was killed by a drunken driver when he was a teenager and he has sponsored and supported legislation aimed at cracking down on impaired drivers. He was the Senate sponsor last year of a law that allows the seizure of vehicles for habitual drunken drivers.

"Coming from a family who has lost a member as a result of somebody driving under the influence, a lot of times we hear about the inconvenience of something like this where you would lose a vehicle," he said during debate of the bill. "I would invite people to examine the inconvenience of someone losing a family member as a result of someone driving under the influence."

Senate President Michael Waddoups, who has been a crusader for tougher drunken driving penalties, said the arrest is a difficult time for Killpack and his family.

"He has requested privacy as he addresses the situation with those closest to him," Waddoups said. "When he and I spoke this morning he indicated he is accountable for his actions and I respect him for that. Senator Killpack has served this state, and the Senate, with distinction and he remains in our hearts and prayers."

No comments: