Thursday, September 08, 2011

10 Year Bloggiversary!

Back in 2001, I was active on several LDS-themed forums. On one of them, I was known for rambling on about my views on various topics, including politics. It became somewhat of an irregular internet version of a "newspaper column" if you will. I had several complaints from people that those forums were not the appropriate place to pitch my thoughts.

I had a friend (one of the first people I knew to own his own domain) who had as part of his web site an area he called "Written Diarrhea" that was essential his ramblings on random topics. Using this as my inspiration, I decided to start my own version of "Written Diarrhea." I needed a name.

It took me a few days to come up with a name. Someone on the forum had been calling my posts "Bob's world" because they thought I was a little detached from the real world. Other people said things were "according to Bob."

Hence "The World, According to Me" was born on September 8, 2001. Unfortunately, that first version of "The World, According to Me" has been lost to time. (It was housed on GeoCities. Go ask your mom.)

The third post on this online journal (nobody would know what a "blog" was for another 2 years) was written on the evening of September 11. Writing it was more therapy than anything. Likewise for other posts that week, and over the last 10 years.

But, more on that in another post.

I wrote on that site through late 2003. In 2003, I was writing the Mormons for Dean blog, and had fallen in love with Blogger. So I moved "The World, According to Me" to Blogger and started fresh. Unfortunately, I deleted many of those old posts.

Over the 10 years, this blog has been my inroads to many friends and opportunities. Tops on both those lists was the trip to Denver for the 2008 Democratic National Convention with Rob, JM Bell, Misty, Jason, Craig and Aaron to write for Utah Amicus.

I've tried quitting several times. I've taken leaves for work. I even got a job once because of this blog. I've learned a lot that I probably would not have otherwise.

Thanks to my readers over the years for, well, reading. And thanks for the comments as well. I write this partly for my own benefit, so it's always amazing to me when people actually read.

So,it's upwards and onwards to many, many more years of this blog.

-Bob

P.S. - I'll post some personal highlights sometime soon. I started a new job this week, and it's been tougher on me than I thought it would be.

5 comments:

JM Bell said...

I <3 Bob
Happy 10th!

Jeremy said...

Congratulations on 10 years. I don't know you personally but know your online persona. Your blog is always a fun read even when I disagree with you.

Great work!

Rob said...

Here's to 10 more!

Misty Fowler said...

Congrats, Bob! Ahh, the fond memories of the DNC in Denver. :)

Laura said...

Somehow I haven't been reading your blog. How did that happen. I started my blog 8 years ago on geocities too!