Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Regerrymadering Part I -- Holladay City: 1 City, 3 Congressional Districts

Back in May, I tried my hand at redrawing Utah's Congressional map. I managed to do it without splitting any county into more than 2 (and only 3 Counties got split). In fact, I did it without splitting a city into more than 2 (and only 3 cities got split, and 3 of the 5 were split along an Interstate).

So, it can be done.

Because it can be done doesn't mean it will be done.

Take the latest version of the Congressional map that came out of the Utah Redistricting Committee today. There was point of interest to me. 3 districts join at an intersection that, while it has undergone significant changes over the past five years, is very familiar to me.


The intersection of Highland Drive and Murray-Holladay Road is the only Urban spot where 3 Congressional Districts come together. Let's take a look at the districts:


The north side of this intersection falls in the "yellow" district. Other locations in the district include Salt Lake City, Woods Cross, East Bountiful, Magna, Tooele, St George, Nephi, Green River, Blanding.


The Southeast corner of the intersection (former home of the Cottonwood Mall -- Now largely a weed pile surrounding a Macy's) is located in the "Green" district. Other locations in this district are Cottonwood Heights, Sandy, Draper, Eastern Utah County, Vernal, Price, Moab.


The Southwest corner of the intersection is in the "Purple" district. Other locations in the district include Murray, Midvale, Salt Lake County west of I-15, Utah County west of Utah Lake, and areas around the southern end of Utah Lake.

I realize that these districts have to come together somewhere. However, as I will post later, this is the most normal division of Holladay's 3 Congressional districts.

1 comment:

Daniel B said...

Officially, i am blowing off steam. I went on the record (if Twitter is the record) complaining how little my "yellow" district has in common with the rest of the district, how little I liked the split.

Glad we agree on that.