Tuesday, September 11, 2012

11

Some continue to use the phrase "Never Forget" in reference to 9/11.

I don't know that I could ever forget.  When I see the images of one tower on fire, I remember standing in my kitchen with my sister, seeing it on TV. Most times that I stop near the LDS Seminary Building across the street from Olympus High, I remember hearing the second plane hit live on KSL Radio (who was broadcasting a New York station).  When I drive through a stretch of 4700 South, I hear President Bush speaking from Florida.  In fact, most of the time I hear that speech, I remember driving that stretch of road.  Pulling into the SLCC parking lot, I remember the call for all off-duty FDNY and NYPD to head toward the Trade Center come over the NYC Airwaves via KSL.  That call haunts me when I see images of the towers fall.  War crossed my mind the moment I saw the Pentagon on fire.

So, no, I will never forget.

But, I think it's important to remember.  To remember Americans standing together; to remember people looking out for their neighbor.  To keep our friends and family close.

I happened to watch most of the events of 9/11 with two of my best friends.  One of them had a cousin who was a Congressional intern.  Because none of us had cell phones, he was calling his mom from a pay phone. I remember people coming and giving him change to make those calls -- complete strangers who were also watching with us.  I remember someone buying me a Coke if I saved his seat, and how even that simple gesture touched my heart.

I pause this morning to remember, but I also plan to move on.  I'll spend the afternoon with my nephew. He's five, still to young to understand.  One day, he'll understand that things happen.  And hopefully then, our loved ones will all be safe.

No comments: