Monday, May 20, 2013

Jim Matheson: It's Official(ly over)

Dear Congressman Matheson:

I received your email today asking me to donate to your campaign, since Mia Love just announced she is going to run against you again next year.

With all due respect, Congressman, I'm starting to think that maybe having Mia be our congresswoman wouldn't be so bad, because on my number one issue, you and Mia have the exact same opinion.

On Thursday, you sent me an email saying that you once again voted for the repeal of ObamaCare.  In fact, you said that you have always voted for the repeal of ObamaCare.  You said that ObamaCare is a flawed bill.

On that, I agree.  However, ObamaCare is an improvement over what we would have if the numerous attempts to repeal the bill were successful.

Furthermore, YOU have the ability to fix ObamaCare.  So far, I have seen exactly ZERO proposals from you to fix ObamaCare.  Well, other than just repeal.

Yes, you are only one of 435 Congressmen.  However, one of the glories of Congress is that ANY Congressman can propose a bill.

Yet, you don't.

You have seniority.  You've been in Congress since 2001.  That's longer than any other current Representative from Utah.  In fact, only 119 Congresspeople have been there longer than you.  That means you have more seniority than 73% of Congress.

So, where's your proposal?  How are you going to fix the problem?

Congressman Matheson, I want to like you.  I'm a moderate Democrat.  I voted for you in 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2010.  In fact, in 2010, I voted for you 3 times -- at convention, in a primary, and in the general election.  In 2012, I was redistricted out of your district, but I told every friend I could that lived in your district why they should vote for you instead of Mia Love.  My voting for you predates my being a Democrat.  I've thrown money your way several times.  I've defended you.  I've overlooked some of your other votes.  I've overlooked your refusal to hold real town halls and talk to your constituents.

But, that's over.  Until you step up, show some leadership, and propose a solution, we're officially over.  No money, no volunteering, no defending you to my more liberal (or conservative) friends.

In fact, when friends in the Fourth District ask me if they should vote for in next year's congressional race, my answer will be simple:

It doesn't really matter, because my health and well being doesn't really matter to either candidate.

-Bob

3 comments:

JC Carter said...

Where's the like button on this? I completely agree, Bob... it's one thing to be against Obamacare because Fox News told you to be... but as a Democrat, grow a pair and propose something better!

Cathy said...

I so agree with this and had many of the same thoughts when I received that same email. Matheson either needs to nut up on Obamacare or I will not vote again for him he is not blue; he's purple.

Anonymous said...

It is even worse.
For those that think Rep. Matheson helped fight "ObamaCare" when it passed, think again.

Look at what votes he made the last week prior that helped set up what happened Sunday March 21, 2010. For those that wanted the bill to pass, he voted against it, for those that wanted it to fail, he voted to suspend the rules so it could pass. Time to vote Rep. Matheson out.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2010/ROLL_100.asp

Look at votes 129, 130, as well as votes 159, 160, 162 and 163

He did the same thing months before:

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2009/ROLL_800.asp

Look at votes 881, 882, 884, 885, 886, 887

There were 39 democrats that voted to stay and vote about the "Bush" Tax cuts. One more and they would not have left without discussing it. Yes, Matheson wrote a letter saying he wanted the cuts, but then he voted to dismiss and not discuss it. One vote would have made the difference. It did and it was Matheson voting not representing Utah.

The legislature didn't redistrict Rep. Matheson out of the 2nd district. He lived in the past 2nd and new 2nd district. The new 2nd district and 4th district are reportedly both as republican as his past district. He chose to run in the 4th district because he resides in Utah and the US constitution doesn't say he has to run in his own district. Unless he moves, he can't vote for himself.

Mia Love is very smart. I went to several debates prior to 2012 convention against several opponents, including Jay Cobb who has degrees in business, law and economics. Jay did well, but Mia keep getting better each time, even with different questions, venues and sponsoring groups. I felt at the end she was doing better than all the others.

In my area, people voted for Matheson for only 2 reasons:
1. His ads were more positive (wrong, he had more attack ads than Mia).
2. He seemed to be smarter. After talking to both, I don't agree.

What is your excuse to keep Congressman Matheson in office? He does have a great last name.