Monday, September 11, 2006

My Path of 9/11, Part IV ~ From Now Til Then

Then, this time, refers to the future, say 10 years from today.

I have been reading several posts about where people were that day. I've been amazed by how many people were at home with really young children. As Rob Miller said, "what kind of world have we brought [our child] into?"

I remember my mother talking about seeing a kid with a green mohawk just after I was born and thinking the same thing.

However, I wonder what the world will be like when I have children. Will the events of 5 years ago seem small compared to what we see then, like green-haired mohawks are now?

I know that one day my children will ask me where I was that day, much like I asked my mother once about November 22, 1963. But those aren't my only concerns.

10 years from now, the children born within a year of 9/11 will be starting their Freshman year of high school. Somewhere, I will be teaching students about it as history. But, what wiil be the lessons of today that is taught by history teachers of tomorrow?

And, what events in these childrens' lives will they have to hold up as a comparison?

-Bob

No comments: