Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Why did voters vote for Craig Frank?

Rep Craig Frank writes a post the other day, critical of a column by Paul Rolly stating the fact that the arch-conservative wing of the Republican party is turning off voters.

But, more on that point later. This post is about a comment Craig Frank made, not Paul Rolly's comments.

These good, politically active citizens of my district (House District 57) have sent me to Capitol Hill over the past five years for a number of reasons…including my conservatism.


That raised by BS meter a little, so I checked the records about how Rep Frank's elections have gone.

2006:

Craig A Frank (R) -- 7208

There was nobody else on the ballot.

2004:

Craig A Frank (R) -- 9059

There was nobody else on the ballot.

Rep Frank was put in office to fill a vacancy in 2003. That was done largely with the help of Republican delegates, who tend to be extremely conservative.

In other words, something tells me that citizens of Rep Frank's district are voting for him not because he shares their views, but because they have no other option. And, those numbers are pretty low for a group you're calling "politically active."

In fact, Rep Frank proves my point:

With Referendum 1’s defeat in District 57 by 54 percent (plus or minus), I also recognize that 46 percent of active voters are looking for me to address changes in public education. (Even a simple guy like me recognizes that 46 pecent is nearly half.)


Yes, but 54% is MORE THAN half.

Rep. Frank's post proves Rolly's claim of alienating moderate Republicans. As they become more and more alienated, they'll come join the Utah Democratic party, who better represents their views.

It happened with me, and many other people I know. Including Bryan Horn, former chair of the UVSC Republicans. He's now running as a Democrat in House District 57. Against Craig Frank.

-Bob

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Amen Bob!

It happened with me too. Republicans have nothing new or productive to add to governance in our state.

Obi wan liberali said...

In Utah County, legislators aren't necessarily elected, they are sustained.