Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Spirit of 1976, Part XVI -- The End

Well, it's hard to say
Goodbye and let go
And it's hard to see it end.

But the Memories we just made
They never happen again....


It's not often I get Mike McLean stuck in my head....

Anyway, we come to the end of my series on the 1976 election. It's been kinda fun to look back on an election from before I was born that has implications today.

So, we say goodbye by ending at the begining. The newspaper article where we first hear of Orrin Grant Hatch, a young lawer from Pennsylvania who threw his hat in the ring at the last moment, filing his paperwork on the last day possible.

And, his words that first day resonate even today.

We need new faces, new blood, new thinking," [Orrin Hatch] said. "It's time to turn out the politicians in Congress who have contributed to the failure of recent years. We used to have statesmen in the Senate. Now we seem to have just expedient politicians."


Amen, Mr Hatch. Amen.

-Bob

P.S. The article is from the Salt Lake Tribune, May 11, 1976, page 16

The Spirit of 1976
Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV
Part V
Part VI
Part VII
Part VIII
Part IX
Part X
Part XI
Part XII
Part XIII
Part XIV
Part XV
Part XVI

1 comment:

That One Guy said...

I once had Mike McLean stuck under my car, but he got away.